San Diego

Under normal conditions, I would be heading for sunny Southern California today. Almost every summer over the past eight years, I have gone to Southern California and specifically San Diego for a one week summer institute sponsored by the College Board. The institute is a brush up session that gets me ready to teach the Advanced Placement courses that I am responsible for. I teach AP United States History, AP Government and Politics, and twice I have taught AP European History. The instructors are excellent and the networking with other AP teachers is priceless.
I absolutely love San Diego. I always stay at a place called the Bay Club, with a room on the marina side of the hotel. The climate and the variety of things to do in the evenings after the day's work is spectacular. One of my favorite things though.... is to sit on the balcony of my room and listen to the music coming from the concerts next door at Humphries. Humphries is another hotel, but it has a small ampitheatre that seats about 1400 or so. I have heard Dan Fogelberg, Chicago, and The Moody Blues to name just a few.
Without a doubt, the most spectacular part of visiting San Diego is to drive down along the shore in places like Mission Beach or up along the coast at La Jolla and watch the sun set. There is nothing like it. Sometimes it is just nice to go to the beach with an evening picnic and just sit and watch the surfers and the other beach walkers.
I love going there, but it isn't in the cards this year for a number of reasons. I will not pout about it nor dwell on it for an excessive amount of time. I am hoping that this particular blog will get it out of my system. I took the picture above at Mission Beach. I miss San Diego...... badly.

1 Comments:
I was born in Twentynine Palms, CA, but had no memory of CA. Went to CA. last Sept. to teach some workshops at Esalen Institute, which is right on the coast. I've never seen the So. Cal. coastline. Sorry you can't go, but calm yourself with the realization that they've got a really bad heat wave right now. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home