Saturday, July 07, 2007

Wooden, Family, and Other Things

A few odds and ends on a quiet Saturday morning.....

Each morning for the past week or so, I have started my day with a chapter of Wooden on Leadership. It is an incredible read. I have always had a great deal of respect for Coach Wooden. I have admired his teams and how he conducted himself from the time I was in early Jr. High School. This particular piece of his work details the pyramid of success and his insights on what makes for quality leadership. Excellent road map for getting somewhere.

The real revelation came to me this morning while I was reading and contemplating how the advice from the book would best apply to my teaching and athletic directing. I had finished my daily chapter and was cruising back through what I had already read previously. I came across the dedication. And... I think the tool for the day will be having my AP students dedicate their work this coming school year to someone. Have it printed on a gummed label and put inside the cover of their notebook. Maybe it will raise the quality of their effort if they work out of respect for someone or something that has truly impacted their lives. At this point, it is just an idea.

On another note, I spoke with my cousin from Indianapolis yesterday afternoon. It seems that my uncle has been having a few additional problems. I alluded to him a year ago in this blog. (http://windsorisland.blogspot.com/2006/07/family.html) His birthday is tomorrow and it has been about two full years now since I have seen and visited with him.

Last Sunday I was watching the Tigers on the national game of the week and the broadcast crew was interviewing Ernie Harwell. Ernie was magnificent and was also sort of plugging a CD set of his broadcasting career. I looked it up online, and thought that it would make for a good gift for those Tiger fans in my life. So.... I ordered one for Kevin and one for my uncle. I wasn't sure if my uncle had a CD player or not, so I called my cousin. After playing phone tag for a couple of days, yesterday we finally connected. She assured me that he indeed did have a nice CD player and would definitely enjoy my gift idea.

It was very unusual chatting with my cousin yesterday. We talked for just under an hour. I never talk on the phone for that length of time. Never....... She filled me in on my uncle, her sister, her kids, life in Indiana, and what all she had been doing. I shared about the boys and dad. It was a nice exchange. There is a chance I may go to visit tomorrow when I am back at dad's. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home