Yet Another Fork In The Road
Today #1 is leaving for California.He has a summer job in San Mateo. He has a girlfriend "Jacqueline". He will be staying with her.
I have been through the complete range of emotions on this one. All the way from anger and shame to total happiness and contentment. I have to admit to being a little jealous. I know that it is very ironic that exactly 10 years ago I had the chance and turned away. Obviously the circumstances and responsibility levels are/were radically different.
I simply want him to grow and learn. This experience will change him radically. He will see what I talk about all time time in regard to California. Even though he will be in Northern California, I am fairly certain that he will "get it". I give him some credit for asking if he could do this. I also give him credit for having the "guts" to take a major life changing step like this.
I made him promise that he would come back to finish school. He looked at me like I was crazy. I explained that once he saw California, and if things worked well with his girl, that the thought of coming back home and to Ohio will be one of the most difficult things he will have to do.
Now... a quick run through the other events going on
1. Dad spent a few days in the hospital with an infection and a moderate case of bronchitis. He seemed fine to me when we went to visit on Wednesday. I can't help but wonder if she over reacted. I can't help but wonder if the doctors/hospital aren't looking to make a few dollars. I also took him to get his hearing aids on Friday in Ft. Wayne.
2. I have been struggling with my job this summer so far. It seems like nothing is different other than not having classroom responsibilities. Coaches call all hours of the day and night. Parents call and visit and complain about playing time. Anita is high strung as ever. Bottom line, I am not doing well and if I am to survive another year, I am going to have to re-evaluate how I conduct business and am going to have to establish some sort of routine to deal with my "personal" time. Maybe it is about establishing a structural system that will utilize the time more efficiently.
Well... I am not looking forward to today's trip to Columbus to the airport. I am certain that emotions will flow. Bottom line.... he is not going to Iraq or Afghanistan. He is going to open a new chapter in his life. I wish him well and I expect him to keep his promise to come back and finish what he started at Ohio State.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home