Water

Today's word is water.
Last night and this morning we received just over 4" of rain from the sky. Water is standing in the back yard. It is all the way up to the garden and there is a sizable pond along the neighbor's garage in my yard. By far it is the most water I have seen standing in the yard since I have lived here. There is some water in the basement, but not a bizarre amount. From the sounds of the neighbors all around, we are extremely lucky. Reports of inches "standing" in basements and homes all up and down the street.
I have come to a basic philosophy about water. "Water is good when it does what you want it to do." It is a simple statement, but has more meaning than when it hits your eye. When it is coming out the shower head, water is good. When it is filling and emptying from the washing machine it is good. When it fills the toilet properly it is good. When water comes out of the hose while watering plants and the yard it is good.
Now.. let's take a moment to examine the converse statement. "Water is bad when it doesn't do what you want it to do." Water coming through the roof to trickle down through the ceiling in your house is not a good thing on any level. Water filling up the basement to the point that it gets into the furnace and destroys other things is not good. When the toilet flushes and it comes up in the basement floor because the trees out front have grown into the drain causing the drain not to flow properly, it is not good. Obviously, I could go on and on, but I would guess that you have my drift. I will go on record and say that water has been one of the biggest challenges to being a successful homeowner for me.
It is day 3 of not going in to the office. Other than the phone ringing a few times and emails seeking help, for the most part I have been able to slip away from it. Today for the first time, I feel a little bit more relaxed.
With everyone off to work this morning it seems very very quiet. #1's fish has been aggravating, but for the most part it is quiet. It seems so odd not to be going in to work. But today for the first time, I feel less tension. Who knows.... taking a 4th, 5th, and 6th day may turn me into a slug.
Well... I am off to surf and read..... I will leave the island today with one of my father's famous sayings about water. "water, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink."
Peace

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home