November

November is here. It is actually the third day of the 11th month.
I haven't been here in almost a month. I have been plodding along. #1 is in California, #2 is in Nelsonville, and I am still here plodding along.
About three weeks ago, made the trip to see #2 to investigate that situation. Manged to make a stroll at Old Man's Cave and Conkle's Hollow. The color was ok.... not great but ok. I wrote an entry for the blog but didn't finish and post because I was interrupted. I will dig it out and include it somehow.... I just don't know how at this point.....
Here it is...... added at 11:15 p.m. It was written on October 12, 2008.... and it is obviously incomplete... but here it is:
I think it best that I spend a few minutes this morning and rehash the events of the weekend to date.
Friday night we left about 5 or so. Drove to Canal Winchester, stopped at Skyline and Kroger’s. Drove on into Athens and stayed at the Baymont. Other than the lack of an internet connection, it was a very very good decision.
Saturday, up and at ‘em pretty good. Went to the new Baker Center and picked up a couple of muffins and a hot tea for a breakfast picnic at Wolf gardens up on the College Green. Was very nice. Sunny skies and the fact that some of the leaves were changed and falling made for a nice time. We did a little shopping and walking up and down Court Street.
About 11:30 or so, Dan came and met us and we stopped back into the library. There we made some copies of insurance cards for the boys and made our way back over to New Baker Center for lunch at the food court on the first floor. It was incredibly nice. On the way out of the library though, it was very notable that we ran into Robert Whealey. He was one of my history professors. I can’t quite remember if I had him as a freshmen or a sophomore, but … he was looking old. Very old….. Dan thought it was interesting that he was one of the professors from my time.
After lunch, we made our way to Dan’s place in Nelsonville. It was a little different than I would have expected. He gave us the grand tour. The first thing I saw, was that he was sleeping on a mattress on the floor. I hate that. I hate that. I hate that…… so…. Headed off to the furniture store and bought a bed frame and a set of box springs. He seemed pretty happy about the up grade. They have a box turtle for a pet. I think he is ok with it all, but…. I don’t think I would have chosen it over a dorm room. That is just me, I guess.
Two of his room mates showed up. Ryan and Kate. They are obviously quite the couple. They were quiet, but very polite. We also met the neighbors. They have two little ones that were playing in the back yard. Dan is known as Frank or… as the little ones call him: Franklin. I am certain that we confused everyone by calling him Willie.
The five of us piled into the new Sonata and took off for Old Man’s Cave. We took the trail backwards and that was different. It was bizarrely crowded. It was also an incredible challenge walking up from the river to the cave. The ankles were pretty good while I was on the move, but I got pretty winded. That speaks volumes about my physical state.
After Old Man’s cave, it was on to Conkle’s Hollow. This entire adventure through the Hocking Hills State park drummed up many old ghosts. It was good, and at the same time a little sad. It would have been better if more of the trees at least along the rim were changed.
After Conkle’s Hollow, we Walmarted to the tune of $157 of groceries and supplies. I will go on record and say that I do not like Walmart for shopping. PERIOD. But Dan seems to really like Walmart, and so…
Motivation is at an extreme low. Dangerously low.
As I read back through this entry, it is a shambles..... I suppose it is a reflection of my state of mind. Shambles..... Warning... Danger.... Hard times ahead.... Doom and Gloom.....
Welcome to November.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home