Opening Day 2009

This is the Roman god, Janus. He is the source of the month of January getting its name. I was born in this month and sometimes I genuinely believe that I am strongly influenced by what he represents. Looking forward and looking backward.
This holiday of New Years is always troubling for me in many ways. As you well know, I tend to look backward far more often than I look forward. I have analyzed that trait often and commonly reference it here in this blog. I do not think it is a bad trait, but it can be a burden always looking in the rear view mirror.
So.... let's look backwards to last years thoughts and make a comment or two on how it went or didn't "went"....
1. The physical health will decline without major lifestyle adjustment.
My health has declined. Not majorly since last year, but it certainly hasn't improved. I do not exercise regularly. I do not eat properly. I am grossly overweight. I am not pleased at all about it.
2. Continual adjustment with the new living arrangements at home.
This one is still in the continual adjustment phase. I find myself alone at home once in a great while and it is ok, strange, but ok. I like the quiet. It is odd with Suzanne working the second job. This adjustment is about what I expected. With #1 gone to California and #2 coming home less, my adjustment is far more mental than physical.
3. The work place will face yet more major changes.
New principal and major role changes for Pat and me. The super is leading, but the troops aren't following so well. I am fairly certain that we are heading for a major showdown. The athletic side of my responsibilities were as rough as ever this past fall.
4. Travel will not happen again this year.
I was right on the money with this one. Other than a couple of trips to Athens and one to Columbus to take #1 to the airport, I did not venture more than 60 miles from my front door step. Oh... and a second trip to Columbus for the state basketball tournament. I shouldn't forget that one.
The one major change in 2008 was my relationship with dad. It has declined by at least 2/3. I have continued to struggle with his marriage. I have found nothing positive about it since it happened. I don't have any problem with him remarrying... but I do not understand on any level why the choice he made. She just doesn't fit with the family in any positive way. But.. then again.... maybe we are just so odd that nothing or no one would "fit". Never the less, I just continue to struggle with it all.
The other major change of 2008 was #1. He has removed himself from Ohio. His whole relationship situation remains a mystery. I am not so sad with it in some ways. It definitely shows great independence, however, it troubles me if I need to fix something. The distance and the unknown of the particular area that he chose to relocate to makes the whole situation particularly troubling.
NOW…. On to the 2009 predictions/forecasts
1. The relationship I have with my father will continue to decline.
I think this will happen as I see him decline. I lost a great amount of respect for him due to how he handled the wedding event. I tend to shy away from people I do not respect. I do not respect his “wife”. I don’t foresee that changing anytime this year.
2. The debt issue will be solved by the end of 2009.
We have come miles in the past two years. We will close the door on that issue this year.
3. Work will be different.
I am about 90% certain that I am ending the AD position. I dread certain parts of it. Facing another fall season would top that list. I am sick of managing adults. And most importantly, I choose to control my own destiny as much as I possibly can.
4. #2 will “re-up” at Hocking.
Since he has become so enamored with the Southeast Ohio world, I don’t think he can bring himself to leave just yet. He claims to be interested in the Industrial Ceramics program. I think he just likes the freedom that the woods brings him. I think he will do ok.
5. #1 will announce his engagement.
Never in a million years would I have been able to make that prediction. I suspect that he will do this after some serious prompting from his significant other. That will bring on some major changes and challenges, but none the less…. I will go out on the limb and predict it.
There you have it…. the New Year’s predictions…. Like the Roman god Janus, I will most likely continue to look back and forward. Hopefully I will be able to find a better balance this year.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home