Saturday, July 11, 2009

Summer on the Island

July weather has arrived finally.... well... maybe not quite.... Yesterday started out very friendly, only to become very humid and disgusting by 3 p.m. Such is life.... it is the price we pay for having such a fine summer so far.

Let's walk through a few things that have been going on the past couple of weeks.

Let's start with son #2.



First of all, the photo is about 14 or 15 years ago, but I think it fits him to a t. He has returned to Southeast Ohio. He has a summer job with some federally funded outdoors clean up crew. Clean up meaning brush cutting, chain saws, and the like. His truck has been on the blink hard since returning. His transmission went bad on him, and after some fairly stressful weeks, he has finally got things in order. I shipped him off $1000 to redo the transmission. It seemed a smoother ride than purchasing a new one. He called yesterday afternoon and was extremely happy to have his vehicle back and up to speed. I do not know why I let it stress me to the level that it does. But I feel a great deal of stress about him and his vehicle.



Now... on to son #1.


He turned 22 yesterday. Twenty-two.... The summer I was 22, I was interviewing for and landing a teaching job where I would meet Suzanne. I spoke briefly with him last evening. Upon being asked what it was like being 22, he simply stated.... "not much different than being 21." I suppose that puts things into perspective. I run the full range of emotions on him being gone. Some days I get pretty down. Other days I am very excited for him. I just wish I could find some middle ground.

Work..... Let's see.... it is July 11 and "official school" was out June 3. In that amount of time, I have gone every day except one for at least part of the day, and most days.... a full working day. I am very frustrated by the inability to get things accomplished because summer is such a hit and miss affair with others. I have spent a good deal of time on the new conference. I served on both the constitution / by-laws and commissioner hiring committees. My role in the constitution was far beyond anything I would have anticipated. It is rolling along now...

Inside the house, the bathroom project moved significantly forward with the plastering of the formerly painted walls. Sometimes, I get so frustrated with the fact that we have to follow in the footsteps of her other family members. I suspect that my frustrations are rooted in my birth order. I am not nor never have been one to follow my siblings. Consequently, I don't do well following hers. It is a personal obstacle that I constantly face.

It would be good to "get away" this upcoming week some how. I think it would be significant to actually leave the state and go into hiding for a week. If I can bring the freshman football issue to a close, I think I will do it. The annual girls weekend starts Friday, so..... that would give me license to be away too.

All in all... I just would really like to find a way to recharge. If I stay in town, people know that, and have expectations of me. I want to be somewhere, where I have no responsibilities for a week. Perhaps that is castles in the air.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home