Friday, January 01, 2010

2010 and a Revisit to 2009

It has been a very odd year that has passed and to be frank, I am not really looking forward to 2010. Annually, I stop in and take a look at last year's predictions and make a comment or two on how true or false the predictions were and then I go on to make a few predictions for the upcoming year. So let's not waste time.... let's get to taking a look at last year's predictions......

2009 Recapped

1. The relationship with my father will continue to decline.

Well this one is partially true. I believe we stayed over night only twice in the calendar year. He has grown distant as he only really talks about the weather and the obituaries when we speak nightly. I have not been able to get past his marriage, or maybe I should clarify by saying I can not get past his motive to marry out of pity. So in retrospect, I would say this prediction did happen, but probably not at the rate that I had anticipated.

2. The debt issue will be solved by the end of 2009.

I am very proud to say that this one came 100% true. Actually it came to fruition before the end of August. It was and is liberating. We still owe on our mortgage and I believe we only have about 3 and a half years to go and that will be behind us. Then the party will be on.

3. Work will be different.

This one is true but not in the sense that I had predicted. I stated that I was 90% certain that I would end the A.D. portion of my life. Not so. I am struggling through year six. I still want to control my own destiny, but for some reason I feel a strong need to see our school out of the old conference and into the new. Never the less, at an executive session in early December, the board relayed to my direct supervisor that I may not have the votes needed for renewal. I do not fit their idea of a "public relations" athletic director along with their perception that I have a different philosophy in regard to priorities of use on the facility. So.... it is different in the board's opinion of me, but it has remained the same as far as responsibilities.

4. #2 will re-up at college.

True. He is plowing away at the second degree. It is a good thing.

5. #1 will announce his engagement.

False. Not true. However, he did bring his woman to Ohio to meet all of us. It was a little surreal. Mostly it seems to be a very unusual relationship. The bigger announcement was that he was not going to go to school during the first part of 2010. That was/is a crushing blow to me. It is a major failure for me.

Now.... on to the 2010 predictions.

1. I will be indecisive about my A.D. position and the board will not renew my contract.

Actually I think it will be ugly for me. The fact that I did not take personal control of my own destiny is particularly troubling. Weak minded on my part to say the least. The greatest question of all will be whether or not I have the courage to end it. The single biggest fear I have about ending it is what productive things will I do with my life? Huge Huge Huge question.

2. I will have a physical catastrophe this year.

The blood pressure issue was raised in August of 2009. Untreated it will either lead to heart disease or a major stroke. My ears ring constantly. I don't sleep well, and I am grossly overweight. All of those things add up to a death sentence. I don't believe I will die in 2010, but I suspect I will be severely handicapped in some way.

3. Some of the home repairs and renovations will be completed, bit it still won't be right by December 31, 2010.

Although we took on a pretty good sized project in July, things ground to a standstill by the second week of school. I dread it. Bathroom, plumbing, more painting, flooring all must be addressed this year, not to mention attacking the problem of furniture and such. I hate it. I absolutely hate it.

4. I predict that I will drop the ball for the 25th anniversary / 50th birthday event.

I would truly like to make a major trip happen and do something memorable. We will see. I will have to do it all if it will be done. Nothing will be contributed from the other side.

5. My father will continue on his present course.

He has repeatedly talked of selling and moving into town. I am a little afraid of predicting that it will actually take place in 2010. If I do, it will happen. I know that he is quite proud of turning 80 this month. I know that he struggles to do all the things he would like. His biggest enemy is himself. First words always are: " I can't".

6. #1 will not return to school and he will not be home to visit before 2011 arrives.

I have major issues with him. To not fulfill his promise to finish his four year degree is one of the most distressing things I have ever had to come to terms with in my lifetime. It is the destruction of the dream of both sons having college degrees. Failure on every level.


Pretty negative..... all in all... but it is a solid attempt to consider where things will lead in 2010. Keep plugging away and seek purpose. Don't get too hung up about #1. #2 will pick up the ball and run with it.

Keep the fork-ed end down and stay out of the creek.


Wordle: 2010 and a Revisit to 2009

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home