248 and Still Learning About Learning
Today is my 248th post. I don't really believe that there is any true significance to the number 248, but it is noteworthy I suppose that I have persevered to stop here on the island and drop a few lines that will fall under my eye at a later date.
Today I learned about learning. Specifically, teaching my "regular" learners. We used for the first time, IPads in class. Specifically, I built a rather simple lesson about the use of propaganda posters during World War I. They were to look through some World War I sites that had pretty extensive caches of posters from the era. I built a web page and posted six critical analysis questions, and asked them to choose three posters with a common theme. After choosing their posters, they were to critically analyze the posters utilizing the questions. We were not able to finish everything on Monday, so we put the IPads away, locked up, and resumed today. On inspection of the cart after Monday's lesson, I discovered that we were one short. SOOOOOOOO.... my first thought was that someone had taken the IPad.
I have felt like a detective the past two days trying to figure out who might have "borrowed", an IPad. I met with the Tech team and discerned that it had been narrowed down to four possibilities. I arrived at these four, because each time I have had them use the IPads, I ask them to snap a photo of the user(s). Well.... sounds like a nice plan, only to discover that two groups did not snap a photo. So... I had it narrowed to four possibilities.
It didn' t take long today to get to who did not put their IPad back. I simply handed out the IPad based on who had used it on Monday. At the conclusion of Monday's class, I had asked them to write the number down in their notebook, so that they would be able to directly access their poster picture. Well.... to cut to the chase, one of the IPads had been put back in the rack but it had been pushed back so far, that it had fallen from the rack and was literally "out of sight". One student found it after we had handed the IPads out. I wanted to cheer when he found the "missing/borrowed" IPad.
I learned today to keep my faith in people. I was really certain that no one had stolen the IPad. But... there were not many ways to think otherwise over the past 48 hours.
Bottom line... the lesson was ok, but the energy level in the room while using the IPads was impressive. If you are looking at energetic classrooms as a sign of engagement, today we would have been off the charts.....
Keep a smile on..... stop by for 249 soon..... and here's to hoping the Bobcats can put it on the Rockets tonight.
Today I learned about learning. Specifically, teaching my "regular" learners. We used for the first time, IPads in class. Specifically, I built a rather simple lesson about the use of propaganda posters during World War I. They were to look through some World War I sites that had pretty extensive caches of posters from the era. I built a web page and posted six critical analysis questions, and asked them to choose three posters with a common theme. After choosing their posters, they were to critically analyze the posters utilizing the questions. We were not able to finish everything on Monday, so we put the IPads away, locked up, and resumed today. On inspection of the cart after Monday's lesson, I discovered that we were one short. SOOOOOOOO.... my first thought was that someone had taken the IPad.
I have felt like a detective the past two days trying to figure out who might have "borrowed", an IPad. I met with the Tech team and discerned that it had been narrowed down to four possibilities. I arrived at these four, because each time I have had them use the IPads, I ask them to snap a photo of the user(s). Well.... sounds like a nice plan, only to discover that two groups did not snap a photo. So... I had it narrowed to four possibilities.
It didn' t take long today to get to who did not put their IPad back. I simply handed out the IPad based on who had used it on Monday. At the conclusion of Monday's class, I had asked them to write the number down in their notebook, so that they would be able to directly access their poster picture. Well.... to cut to the chase, one of the IPads had been put back in the rack but it had been pushed back so far, that it had fallen from the rack and was literally "out of sight". One student found it after we had handed the IPads out. I wanted to cheer when he found the "missing/borrowed" IPad.
I learned today to keep my faith in people. I was really certain that no one had stolen the IPad. But... there were not many ways to think otherwise over the past 48 hours.
Bottom line... the lesson was ok, but the energy level in the room while using the IPads was impressive. If you are looking at energetic classrooms as a sign of engagement, today we would have been off the charts.....
Keep a smile on..... stop by for 249 soon..... and here's to hoping the Bobcats can put it on the Rockets tonight.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home