Monday, April 09, 2012

Monday Spring Break

Good morning.

For some reason today, I feel hopeful. I can't quite put my finger on the reason why or what sparked it, but I feel pretty upbeat and hopeful. I can't help but wonder how long I can maintain it. It is a nice feeling.

Yesterday's trip west went off without much of hitch. Spent about four hours in Bryan and about three in Sherwood. There was only one downer for the entire trip.... well only one that is worthy of noting here.... there was a rubbing sound coming from the passenger side front zone of the car. It kicked up as I got off the turnpike and kept it up all the way to dad's. I went in the house, for about ten or fifteen minutes and had to take his other to work. On the trip into Bryan, it never made a sound. Nor did it make a sound the rest of the entire trip. Odd.... sort of sounded like the rotor/brake assembly.... but maybe not. It didn't pull a single bit while driving, nor did it make the sound continuously. Bottom line? It will have to be looked at before I try a trip to Detroit on Wednesday.

I have been regularly reading a blog online... http://www.jamesaltucher.com/author/altucher/ it is pretty darn good as a source of ideas on how to look at life in small bites. This James Altucher has also written a couple of books, that I have downloaded into the kindle app that I have for the Ipad. Some things he suggests just don't apply to me or my situations, but many of the things are pretty keen insights to people and human relations. Now I will be the first to say that he isn't John Wooden, but..... James certainly seems to have some very practical modern approaches to dealing with issues that come up in life. I don't know for certain, but I think I discovered his blog when I say a blurb about why going to college is a waste of time and money. I don't know why that would catch my eye, but.... it probably had something to do with how I am trying to resolve the decisions made by #1. The blog is a very good read, it is short and to the point and some days I find it inspirational. Lord knows I have been seeking some inspiration lately.

Now on to some dreary topics..... where to start.... oh... here we go..

1. The bathroom. The commode gave me grief Saturday night..... I got up on Sunday morning and repaired the issue. But... and it is a big but..... the handwriting is on the wall... the days of the most used machine in the house are numbered. Now.... I must summon the courage to move forward on the topic.

2. Clutter. I have resolved this week to spend two thirty minute periods waging war on clutter. 30 minutes can be endured. If it can not be endured, I will shorten it to 20 or 25.... but I am going to make progress.

3. TESS Display. On May 1, I have to display the utilization of technology in my classroom at a "science fairlike" gathering at a local university. I am dreading it. I need to find a new approach so that I don't let it get me down. Bottom line? ..... the gathering will last for two hours...... I can do/tolerate anything for two hours.... and... I must get going on it by no later than this coming weekend.

4. Excercise. I would like to get back to some physical activity on a semi-regular basis. I am 51 years old and if I don't get started soon, I would suspect that I won't be around to see 61 or 71. I would like to walk.... but it is painful. I am not making an excuse, I am simply stating a fact. It is painful. Perhaps revamping the bike is the answer. I just know that I have to get my fanny in gear, or it won't matter.

I have rambled through quite a few things this morning. It is Monday of spring break 2012. I know that I wanted to go to Baltimore or at least somewhere more than an hour away from home. It certainly doesn't look like that will happen. But... it is Monday and I am feeling hopeful. Perhaps I should approach it with the "eating the elephant" philosophy. Little bits and the entire elephant will be gone. Little bites.... lots of them.... and learn some patience......

Nice to see the Island today.... and it isn't a totally negative, doom and gloom post. Nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home