Saturday, April 07, 2012

Spring Break 2012

I have been remiss on not stopping by the Island for some time. I will do my best at making more regular appearances here. Let's start this posting off with a run down on what has been going on over the past month or so. Let's start with home.....

I have been to Bryan a couple of times. Spent St. Patrick's day there visiting with the man, who was the best man in my wedding, and his family. He is a physician, researcher, clinician, and overall a pretty amazing professional in the field of pharmocology. He and his wife, along with their two sons live in or near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is doing incredibly well although he acts like he has actually accomplished very little. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He is a big timer..... It was good to see him on the occassion of his mother's 90th birthday. She was bright eyed and fiesty as I remember her.

I have managed to see #2 twice for about an hour or so during the past month. I don't like it. Period. He called his mom this past Thursday after having his taxes done at the Clyde H & R Block..... He left a message with her that was confusing, so I called him to clarify. We spent about 30 minutes or so..... it was good. I liked it a lot, although it was fairly emotional on my end because of the disconnect I feel from both him and #1.

My father seems to be plodding along pretty well. He is able to get outside now that the weather has turned for the better. I am always amazed at what being able to be outside and active does for his state of mind. He has been on a kick lately about selling the house and property again. He claims he can not maintain it properly. I genuinely can not think of a thing that would harm him more. I just simply can not believe that he would do well in an apartment or small house in town. Period. He just thrives when he can be outside working on his own things.

At work.... the vultures seem to be circling on my two immediate supervisors. The board of education and specifically the two members that are the most out of touch and the most emotional are creating very large issues that has almost everyone in the building looking over their shoulders. We have also been pretty much in a state of rebellion over the short cycle training that we are saddled with. Our curriculum director has fundamentally lost the respect of everyone other than our principal. That is somewhat difficult for me to understand. We are down to about seven weeks or so left...... The AP exams are just a month away, and I am not feeling like my students take their task with much seriousness. Perhaps I am wrong..... but maybe I am not.... we shall see.

I went to the 90th State Boys' Basketball tournament a couple of Saturdays ago. This event was very unique in more than a few ways. First, I went alone. First time for that in about 25 years or so. It was really really really really different. I was without any responsibility to anyone other than myself. It is difficult for me to convey the way it felt to me. The basketball was average at best. The Division II title game was good, but the others were just so-so. I only went on Saturday. I got up pretty early, drove down in time to catch the Division IV game. It was different in that I didn't have my tickets prior to arriving. That was something new for me as well. It seemed to me that there weren't as many scalpers as usual, and the ones selling prior to game 9 were impossible to deal with. I bought a ticket for the upper level for the Division IV, and managed to pay $50 in total for the final three games of the day to set in the Huntington Club level. I even managed to sit with Mr. Morrison for the Division I game due to the empty nature of the seating. Bottom line on the state tournament? Different..... neither different good nor different bad..... just very different.

Now a brief note on me and how it is..... I have had a couple of very rough weeks lately as to what my purpose is. It has grown from an ant hill into a sizeable event. I am not certain what the future has in store for me, but right now..... I am not good. I rarely if ever want to do anything, see anyone or anything, read, write, or even just talk with people. While considering any course of action, by first thoughts are almost exclusively "to what end?". Right now... I see no positive in any ends. Is it depression? Maybe.... Is it laziness? at minimium.

I am just not good and I fear that it will overtake my personna. I do not want that to happen. So.... I just need to take a few steps toward change.

It has been good to stop through here this morning and rehash some things that I have been meaning to share, but haven't had the motivation and determination to put into words to share about the Island. I give my promise, that I will be through more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home