Sunday, May 06, 2012

May... Pressure Month

Pressure, pressure, pressure. Historically in my profession the month of May is jam packed with more events than can be effectively experienced. It is the month of the AP exams. It is the month of award nights and special banquets. It is the month of trying to put 15 lessons into 10 days complete with high absenteeism due to the last minute attempts to cram in as many field trips as possible.

May..... It is like teaching with your hair on fire and not a single drop of water in sight. May is also a very significant month historically on a personal level for me. I have seen both ends of the spectrum of highs and lows. It is a month for deep reflection. It is a month for travel with my father. It is a month to prepare for the summer run.

Yesterday, I did very little until evening. I did manage to cut back the ivy out front, but still have more to do I worked on the compost pile and added some old leaves that were still hanging around the hose reel. I really wonder what my problem is..... I should be energized, but it seems when I come home, I am still in the old mindset of when I was AD. I used to just come home and vegetate because I was so drained of mind. Now.... I come home and am not drained of mind, but just seem to lack the will to do much of anything. Who knows.... probably some deep form of depression that I am fighting and losing.

Final plans have been put in place for the San Diego - San Francisco summer excursion. I am dreading the San Franciso portion of the trip after the exchange over whether or not we should go to visit. AKWARD.... is the only way to describe it. I will be attending the AP Government and Politics session this year, and it will be without the usual instructor of the past. I am going with an open mind. I sincerely hope that we will learn the latest and will also take in the updates that the college board has in store for us. There were a lot of rumblings last year at the APUSH session about fundamental curriculum revisions...... I have not heard the same for AP Gov't.

#2 made a run to Alabama this week for work. It was medium drama on all fronts. He was excited, nervous, and most of all proud when he made it back yesterday afternoon. I knew that he would be fine at the work place. I reasoned that his employer would not have sent him if he wasn't able to perform. From all conversations.... he did just fine. I wanted to attend the sectional baseball and softball yesterday. I just couldn't pull it off. I am torn as how to handle those feelings. I enjoy both a great deal. I feel a strong obligation to baseball given my roles in the past. I like the tempo and over play of the softball group, but.... inside.... inside of my brain and psyche, I feel the need to distance myself from my past responsibilites or I fear that I will be lured back. The break I made when leaving my post as AD was a dramatic one. One that was made with great anxiety. I do not want to pass down that anxious road again..... I believe to slowly wean myself away is the best course..... but the pressure will be to find something of value to replace that behemoth that ruled my existance.

On a different topic..... the Orioles are playing very well. They are at the 1/3 point of a very significant stretch of 15 games...... at NYY for 3, at Bos for 3, home with the Rangers for 4, Rays for 3, and end the run with two more at home vs. NYY...... to date on this stretch the birds have taken two of three from the NYY and two from the Red Sox a nice 4-1 start on the stretch. Sweeping the Red Sox today would be excellent. It has been 15 years since the Orioles have posted a winning season...... irony? maybe. I just like having a respectable team to support. The pitching has been particularly spectacular. It was a fine month of April..... now.... to sustain it through May.

Today's entry onto the Island is via the Ipad and the bluetooth keyboard. I have to admit that the font is pretty small on the Ipad, but I really like the keayboard and frankly.... I feeel advanced when I am using the Ipad. I have been fooling around with a few different apps. I have found one to make collages and to utilize some of the pictures I have been snitching off the web. I don't always use the key board..... but... I like the Ipad.

Keep a smile on.... get through May. Enjoy simple things and most of all remember to be grateful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home