June.... The beginning of another time
June arrived yesterday. School with students ended yesterday. Today I am cold and feeling under the weather.....
Seems sort of odd.... I look constantly for motivation and when an opportunity comes along, I balk. The opportunity to coach has presented itself again. Now mind you that I have serious doubts on about ten or twelve different levels that I really would like to jump back into that side of existence, but... there are a few upsides that I have been contemplating. I will have to decide on Monday, but.... as of this exact moment in time, I am leaning toward no.... Not by a whole lot, but by some.
Cold, gray, windy day. It has been that way now for a couple of days... and that is ok. I have been spoiled by the weather for some time.
I have been trying to put the fact that I have just completed my 29th year of teaching into some sort of perspective. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it all. There have been some absolutely spectacular moments and of course there have been some rock bottom events as well. It is important to take a peek at the past, but.... the changes that loom on the horizon are somewhat intimidating.
One of my colleagues was involuntarily transferred this past week to the Jr. High. With his move and the departure of Diane due to non-renewal, I will now be tied for second on the length of teaching career in the building and the longest overall. One in science has 27 years in the building and 28 all together.... and one in English has 26 in both the building and overall..... I have 29 overall and 26 in the building. I don't think it is something to dwell on... but... it is certainly something to consider....
Instead of looking at my length of service as a positive, I think my employers look at it as a negative. I have done a great deal of trying to stay modern and actively seeking to improve. But... as per usual, I don't feel like I control my own situation. Is it because I rely on people too much? I just know that I am seeking a balance point that has never seemed more elusive.
Last weekend Suzanne went to Texas for a family wedding. I went with my dad to make the cemetery tour of NE Ohio. It was possibly the most uneventful trip we have ever made. When we got back to Bryan, I helped set out urns at Brown Cemetery. It was a quiet time.
It is just over a month until California.... I hope my state of mind improves on that situation. We shall see.
In the meantime.... it is summer.... and summer vacation.... Time to prepare for #30/27.
Seems sort of odd.... I look constantly for motivation and when an opportunity comes along, I balk. The opportunity to coach has presented itself again. Now mind you that I have serious doubts on about ten or twelve different levels that I really would like to jump back into that side of existence, but... there are a few upsides that I have been contemplating. I will have to decide on Monday, but.... as of this exact moment in time, I am leaning toward no.... Not by a whole lot, but by some.
Cold, gray, windy day. It has been that way now for a couple of days... and that is ok. I have been spoiled by the weather for some time.
I have been trying to put the fact that I have just completed my 29th year of teaching into some sort of perspective. I have a lot of mixed feelings about it all. There have been some absolutely spectacular moments and of course there have been some rock bottom events as well. It is important to take a peek at the past, but.... the changes that loom on the horizon are somewhat intimidating.
One of my colleagues was involuntarily transferred this past week to the Jr. High. With his move and the departure of Diane due to non-renewal, I will now be tied for second on the length of teaching career in the building and the longest overall. One in science has 27 years in the building and 28 all together.... and one in English has 26 in both the building and overall..... I have 29 overall and 26 in the building. I don't think it is something to dwell on... but... it is certainly something to consider....
Instead of looking at my length of service as a positive, I think my employers look at it as a negative. I have done a great deal of trying to stay modern and actively seeking to improve. But... as per usual, I don't feel like I control my own situation. Is it because I rely on people too much? I just know that I am seeking a balance point that has never seemed more elusive.
Last weekend Suzanne went to Texas for a family wedding. I went with my dad to make the cemetery tour of NE Ohio. It was possibly the most uneventful trip we have ever made. When we got back to Bryan, I helped set out urns at Brown Cemetery. It was a quiet time.
It is just over a month until California.... I hope my state of mind improves on that situation. We shall see.
In the meantime.... it is summer.... and summer vacation.... Time to prepare for #30/27.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home