Monday, January 21, 2013

A Free Monday

Difficult to believe but today is a "free day".  There is no formal obligation to be at work today in honor of the Dr. King holiday.

Yesterday was spent with family.  #2 and fiance came along to celebrate #83 for my father.  It was a pretty relaxed time all around, with an evening trip to Sherwood.  The luncheon was pretty typical fare with the meal consisting of cornbread and beans, along with some of his other favorites, apple pie, chocolate cake, green onions, and various other fresh vegetables.  The low light of the day had to be our regular evening conversation, where he revealed that he had hit a deer on the way home from picking up his significant other.  He saw three... hit one.... "minor damage to the hood, and a broken front headlight".....   and I suspect some pretty shaken confidence given that it was his 83rd birthday.  Some tough medicine coming down the road on the driving issue......  I don't think it will be a pretty sight.

My brother called from Arizona and chatted with people there.  He had some distressing news on a few different fronts.  From divorce proceedings in regard to my nephew to mental issues to my niece, to bullying/fighting for another niece, to moving back to the big city.......  Just a large number of issues for him and his family.  I am at somewhat of a loss as to know what is the proper course of action as to how to approach him to see if I could be of assistance.   It strikes me that he has become very distant and away from the center.  Sister #1 shared about a phone call that she received from him regarding facebook.  It was a pretty distressing story.

Sister #2 continues to sail along with her son.  Nothing much new on that front.  I have to admit that it is a little distressing that her son will be 16 this summer...... and not a day past 8 socially..... pretty distressing.  I foresee a pretty bleak future there....

On my own front..... I have been plodding along so far this month.  I have been running the clock for both the boys and girls basketball teams since the regular clock operator has taken ill.   I don't mind it. I feel pretty comfortable doing it.  And it is sort of nice in a strange way to have a role.

I am going to have to begin the license renewal process very soon. I don't know why I am putting it off.  There is no need nor justification, other than the longer I wait for the background check, the longer it will be valid.   But.... other than that.... no reason to delay.

Saturday night's windy weather should be noted here.  I spent most of the time between 2:15 a.m. and 5 a.m. wide awake with the house vibrating, rattling, and banging.  I am pretty certain that I have never spent a night in this house with that sort of an event.  I kept waiting for one of the big maples in the front yard to come crashing in...... they didn't, but the front storm door was pulled off the closer....

Time to wrap up this entry and consider my course of action for the day.  I am a little chilly.... and the skies are gray......   California..... dreaming... right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home