A Visit From Janus While Starting Late.....
Janus..... always looking backward and forward at the same time..... I think it an appropriate logo for me. He now makes his annual appearance here on Windsor Island.....
I am arriving to the island late this year. I hope that it is not an omen of me running behind all year.... but... then we will have wait and see..... Let's get work here now.... and take a peek at what was predicted last year and how that turned out......
1. I will continue to evolve at work.
I did/am evolving, but.... at a much slower pace than I would have thought. I have taken on teaching a World War 2 class and a section of Economics. This first semester, I taught two sections of WW2. It wasn't too bad, but... I can be better at it. I will get that opportunity this coming semester.... As for Econ. well.... let's just say I am extremely apprehensive. I have some ideas, but my basal knowledge is average at best. We shall see. As to the athletic portion of my evolution, I have pretty much stopped. I helped by running the clock for football and I have been around to advise a little.... but other than that... I have become rather isolated. On a more flattering note, there have been some feelers put out as to whether or not I would be interested in the league commissioner position that is about to open. Very very very flattering to be in the conversation, but I don't think I can toss my hat into the ring due to a conflict of interest that would be presented as I still work at RHS.... We shall see how that goes.
2. Dad will do his best to increase his productivity but for the most part stay the course he is currently on.
I was 100% right on the money with this one.... I do think he has slipped a bit with his awareness and how his health goes, but... for the most part.... little change. He has begun to scare me a little to ride with him in the car..... We shall see how things progress
3. #2 will become engaged and will begin work on a family.
50% right on this one..... The engagement took place in August.... and it has been a little bit of a whirlwind ever since. The date is late October 2013......
4. #1 will not come to visit and the distance will continue to grow.
1000% true here... and it was painful to see him this past July. I don't see how this will change..... I just don't.
5. I will physically and emotionally struggle this year a great deal.
Also 1000% true. My right ankle is awful and my left shoulder isn't much better. I am not good at taking my blood pressure medicine regularly. My weight has never been higher. As for the emotional part.... I get pretty flat some days..... mostly because I have no purpose. Sadder yet... I am not certain I want a purpose..... Sad.....
Well there is the run through on last January 1, 2012's predictions...... now on to the task at hand.... a look into the crystal ball for what 2013 will bring....
1. I will go out on a limb and say that I will figure out exactly how much time I have left to teach and begin to prepare for the end.
This statement is due in part to several things. 1. The change in the STRS rules for retirement. 2. The new evaluation system. 3. Lack of will or sense of purpose on my part. I know that I have about two or three years left in me..... I think the STRS thing will force my hand at the end of two.... but we shall see.... None the less... I will start to put things in place for the end...... and it terrifies me.
2. My father will motor along with no major changes.
I believe that he will begin to slow down.... but I worry about him becoming combative as it happens. I know that it greatly rattles him to see his friends pass away...... His wife works pretty hard at taking care of him, but..... I don't think he eats a balanced diet and I don't think he got what he bargained for...... We shall see how this one goes and keep the fingers crossed....
3. #2 will have a great 2013.....
His job is on the upswing... He is about to be married in the fall..... He has a newish car....... things are going well for him....... I just hope he can keep it all in perspective. It does me well to see him so excited about life and living. I suppose I am a little or even maybe a lot jealous of him.......
4. #1..... Well.... .what to say here what to say here..... I predict that he will make it home for the wedding in October... and I will venture out there to say that he will become engaged before the big ball falls on New Year's Eve 2013.....
Hmmm.... He has told several people that he will be back for the October wedding.... We shall see.... I just know... that I have never been farther from him in all of his 25 years of life and living. We chat on Sunday nights for about 10 minute or so... usually about baseball and the weather... and that is it...... It just makes me physically ill as to what our relationship has become. Gone Gone.... the Damage done...... Oh what I would give to have more..... I just hope someday some how..... we can get it turned around.
5. On the health front..... I predict more decline in physical mobility....
I don't think I can get much slower..... I know that the knees seem to be doing ok these days... but I know it is only because the ankle and the shoulder hurt worse.... I don't sleep more than a few hours at a time... and that bodes trouble. It remains to be seen if I can muster enough courage and discipline to take on this challenge. I doubt it....
Oh... 2013.... what will you bring.... I know that I will do my absolute best to take better care of the island.... and continue to learn..... but... beyond that.... I do not know.... I can only predict.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home