Frustration with the Bureaucrats
Today..... After the final bell.... Some of my colleagues gathered in my room to discuss some of the changes that are just around the corner for our profession.
I have come to the conclusion about several assumptions that the state legislature and the bureaucrats that run the Ohio Department of Eduction operate their existence upon.....
1. All students... as in 100%, are interested in being academically successful and want to become high performing competent citizens.
2. All students will read at grade level by grade 3 is actually possible.
3. All teachers are fundamentally incompetent and need to be "retrained" in the current assumptions listed above.
4. Education in its current state is dead or at minimum dead upon arrival.
5. All humans can be quantified statistically to rate them against one another, and if a student can't measure up, that it is the fault of someone who is paid to make certain that the student is above average.
6. Public schools are dinosaurs, and the days of brick and mortar learning facilities are numbered.
I am so frustrated..... by those on the outside who believe that they understand what is going on the inside. Be it the ODE or the state legislature or the intellectual think tanks of the universities..... Those people do not have any idea as to what goes on in reality.... they deal in theory.... I understand that theory leads to progress.... I do... I really do.... but... It will be a painful journey for them to acquire the realization that humans are not interchangeable parts on a machine, that students are not blank pieces of wood that can be moulded into something that someone out there wants......
Bottom line? We are in trouble..... Total failure to have a realistic view of human nature.
It is time.
I have come to the conclusion about several assumptions that the state legislature and the bureaucrats that run the Ohio Department of Eduction operate their existence upon.....
1. All students... as in 100%, are interested in being academically successful and want to become high performing competent citizens.
2. All students will read at grade level by grade 3 is actually possible.
3. All teachers are fundamentally incompetent and need to be "retrained" in the current assumptions listed above.
4. Education in its current state is dead or at minimum dead upon arrival.
5. All humans can be quantified statistically to rate them against one another, and if a student can't measure up, that it is the fault of someone who is paid to make certain that the student is above average.
6. Public schools are dinosaurs, and the days of brick and mortar learning facilities are numbered.
I am so frustrated..... by those on the outside who believe that they understand what is going on the inside. Be it the ODE or the state legislature or the intellectual think tanks of the universities..... Those people do not have any idea as to what goes on in reality.... they deal in theory.... I understand that theory leads to progress.... I do... I really do.... but... It will be a painful journey for them to acquire the realization that humans are not interchangeable parts on a machine, that students are not blank pieces of wood that can be moulded into something that someone out there wants......
Bottom line? We are in trouble..... Total failure to have a realistic view of human nature.
It is time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home