Saturday, May 24, 2014

On Memorial Day Weekend and the Adjustment to Department Staffing

It is a challenging weekend for me in many ways.  Mostly it is a challenge because I am without my father on this weekend for the first time in my life.  Memorial Day weekend has been a very valuable part of my life particularly over the past eleven years.

Annually on the Saturday before Memorial Day, he and I travel to decorate cemetery plots of those people in his life were extremely influential: His first wife, his mother (my grandmother), his grand parents (my great grandparents), and his older brother.  Lodi, Creston, Wooster, and Moreland.  

I would usually arrive somewhere around 9:00 a.m. and the two of us would head east into the sun. Conversations of all types would take place on the way to and through various cemeteries.  I would treat to lunch and supper.... and usually pay for gas. 

It was something I had come to hold very near and dear to my heart....   Now.... it is gone because he is gone.  

Last night...  I made the trip..... It didn't seem "right" in so many ways.  Wrong day, wrong company, and most importantly... wrong timing....

I didn't care for the pressure that lack of time created.  I did love that I was able to navigate the Wooster by=pass effortlessly. But.... and it is a big but.... It was simply wrong on about a 1,000 different levels.  

------------------------------------------------

This past week was traumatizing for one of my colleagues.  He is not coming back to teach in his current capacity due to reduction in force. I don't understand apparently the depth of my employer's financial distress.  To step away from a fourteen year quality veteran teacher is quite the statement.

I have worked diligently to find him leads for new employment.  Some nibbles are coming through....

I feel responsible to him and for him on three specific levels...   #1 - I was part of the two man committee that hired him.  #2 - He is a member of our Social Studies team, of which I chair, and #3- He has a wife and two little children to provide for.   I, on the other had have 31 years of experience, no children to provide for, and I do not have a mortgage.  It should be me that is leaving.   My immediate supervisors simply will not allow that to happen.  Bottom line?  I am struggling with this turn of events.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home