Thursday, January 01, 2015

Janus Reappears on the Island



2014 is gone and 2015 has arrived.

As per custom the first post of the new year is a look backwards.... and then forwards.....  

First backwards.... Here were the predictions....


1. Indecision will rule the day on the employment front.
Somewhat true..... I have waffled around all year....  I am about 95% certain that I am returning just as I am.  I still would like to make a quick trip to Columbus or to meet with STRS to see the hard fast numbers.... but I have been a waffle.... I still would like to play it the Don Jackson way if at all possible.... We shall see.

2. #2 will have another top notch year, but with some sort of pitfall along the way to keep it from being a perfect year.
95% true..... Ol' Willie has done great work this year.... If he had a pit fall  I didn't see it. His job is plugging along well.... His employer has included him into a profit sharing set up, and from the outside looking in.... he is winning.... comfortably.  I have to admit to being a little apprehensive when things will come back to the balance point...  But... atta way Willie.... keep it rolling.

3. #1 will keep on keeping on with no major changes with one small exception. He might actually get married in 2014, but I suspect it will fall in 2015.
From all that I can tell.... true... 100%.  As to the marriage timing.... completely unknown.

4. My health will level off and there will be a long slow decline on the mobility front.
I would give myself a very solid C- on this prediction.  I had someone leveled off through the middle of the year. I have not been very good at excercising....I am certain that I have gained significant weight. I know that some tasks are very challenging and it impacts the outlook.... Probably the most troubling part is the weight gain and the ability to feel confident when it comes to going to sporting events.  Very troubling.  I will just have to do better at excercising..... and becoming more flexible.

Now..... On to the future....

1. #2 will become a father or at least conceive.

I realize that I have absolutely zero input on this prediction. I just hope with all of my heart and soul that whatever happens... that everyone is healthy....  I am still not ready to be a popo.

2. #1 will become even more distant

This is without a single doubt the most troubling aspect of my life.  He has become as distant as ever. I am certain that he will not be home this year. I will only go that way if he is to be married. Otherwise.... distance will only continue to grow.

3. Ghosts from the past will appear

I don't know why this prediction came to me as I was contemplating this entry. I just feel it. I don't know if it will be ancient or from the more recent past..... but... I feel drawn to predict that there will be contact.  Perhaps planned... perhaps not.  I can only hope that it won't result in disaster.

4. I will be either 50% or 75% owner of 114 Robrock St. Bryan, Ohio

I don't know what to think of this one.... There has never been an issue I am more divided upon. I am distressed at the thought of moving farther from #2. I am distressed at moving farther from an active  urban area.  But.... the thought of going "home" is appealing.   I suppose the ideal situation is to hold both.... and defer to the time after retirement.   This past week brought about the revelation that my youngest sister was denied the opportunity to make the purchase due to her financial history.  That leaves it to me to take the lead and buy out at minimum my brother..... which shouldn't be impossible.... as to the quarter in Oberlin.... that will have to be deferred if at all possible.

There they are.... Janus.... always with one foot in the past and one in the future....  

Some other notable things about 2014....

- The mortgage on the house is completely paid off.  Done.... It was done in April.  A major win, considering what I learned about my father's mortgage revelation.

- Lost some parents of my best friends from High School .....  Really troubling..... But the most troubling of all was the loss of my mentor, Mike Heck.  Brutal...simply brutal. I am not only an orphan, I am also mentorless.

- Sleep has become almost impossible between 4 a.m. and 7 a.m.  .... I am not certain if it is the neighbor going to work, or if it is something in my psychological make up these days.... I just know... that I am always awake no later than 4:30 a.m.

- One of my colleagues was laid off....  While it looks promising for him to return. I fear our relationship is forever damaged. I am not proud of how I handled his departure.

- I miss basketball.... I miss coaching.... I realized it about the first game of the season this year...  I have been helping Kirk scout.... but I miss teaching the game and establishing strong relationships with players..... That was a huge reason I wanted to teach.... I miss it.

- I have been being recruited for a few different jobs this past year.... NBC commissioner.... NLL commissioner..... even.... a strong feeler from the principal of Yellow Jacket high school about their soon to be vacant athletic director's job.   All very flattering.... but the timing is just not right.... There is no way to do those jobs while teaching full time.

- This past winter was brutal.  I have never in my life missed so many days of school. The snow was higher than my head along both sides of the drive way.... The snow did not leave until the end of April. The ice was easily 36 inches thick on the river.... the ice break up was impressive.... and cold..... unreal how cold it was all the way through the third week of March....

- I spent the summer writing an e-curriculum. It paid incredibly well. I was over matched... but I plan to hit the ground running this summer.... I have been putting together some ideas to put in place.  It has been both humiliating and empowering....

Keep a smile on if you can.... Janus will be back around before you can shake a stick.... and who knows.... if I am still here.... maybe we can talk about the major items of 2015 and what is on the horizon for 2016.

Peace Janus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home