Friday, January 01, 2016

2016..... Opening Day



Janus has arrived.

I think this particular picture is appropriate with the light on the past..... and the shadow looking forward. It is pretty reflective of how I see things in general....

In some ways it seems as though the Roman is arriving early, but...  just like clockwork, he is always on time.

As per usual custom, we will take a look back before looking forward.


1. #2 will become a father or at least conceive.

I realize that I have absolutely zero input on this prediction. I just hope with all of my heart and soul that whatever happens... that everyone is healthy....  I am still not ready to be a popo. 

Missed this one..... totally.... No conception, no sign, nor discussion of anything of the like.   I can't say that I am disappointed, but.... I am mildly surprised.   Maybe there are medical issues that I am of which I am unaware.  But.... totally 100% incorrect on this prediction..... 

2. #1 will become even more distant

This is without a single doubt the most troubling aspect of my life.  He has become as distant as ever. I am certain that he will not be home this year. I will only go that way if he is to be married. Otherwise.... distance will only continue to grow. 

Totally 100% true.  He did not come home.  He did not communicate for long stretches (aka two weeks or more at at a time)..... And there is little or actually virtually no discussion of any upcoming trips towards Ohio.   He did manage a trip to Hawaii..... but.... well... just.... Oh.... well...  

3. Ghosts from the past will appear

I don't know why this prediction came to me as I was contemplating this entry. I just feel it. I don't know if it will be ancient or from the more recent past..... but... I feel drawn to predict that there will be contact.  Perhaps planned... perhaps not.  I can only hope that it won't result in disaster. 

No ghosts appeared.....  well... there was limited contacts.... but... as for actual appearances..... no....  Unless the least powerful of the ghosts as reappeared with an occasional meal every so often.... but... that is all out in the light of day.... at least I believe it to be so.... not so certain of how the other side sees things.   And most likely never will. 



4. I will be either 50% or 75% owner of 114 Robrock St. Bryan, Ohio

I don't know what to think of this one.... There has never been an issue I am more divided upon. I am distressed at the thought of moving farther from #2. I am distressed at moving farther from an active  urban area.  But.... the thought of going "home" is appealing.   I suppose the ideal situation is to hold both.... and defer to the time after retirement.   This past week brought about the revelation that my youngest sister was denied the opportunity to make the purchase due to her financial history.  That leaves it to me to take the lead and buy out at minimum my brother..... which shouldn't be impossible.... as to the quarter in Oberlin.... that will have to be deferred if at all possible. 

I am not certain how to grade this one.....   100% true on the 50%...... and well... not true on the 75%....  While it is still a goal to be sole owner..... I did pay my brother's quarter to him in June.   A cashier's check of which was its own adventure was deposited in his account.   Now just to figure out the legal steps that have to be taken for me to deal with the the requirements to make it legal in WIlliams County. 


Now... some other items from 2015 that were notable.


- January and February of 2015 were as brutal cold-wise as any of my winters that I can remember. -19 in February was a true experience.  While last January was just brutal with three weeks were the temp. never rose about 10 degrees and there were many many days below 0.  Just notable.... as December 2015 went without snow for the second consecutive year as well as according to the National Weather Service being the warmest December since records have been kept.   Weather.... nothing quite like it. 

-It was fun to be a part of the state championship for Defiance.....  now mind you it was a tiny part, but none the less a part. The scouting at the regional level was particularly pleasing to me.  The Dayton Dunbar vs. Franklin scout might be as good as I have done in years....  A fine email thank you followed about a month afterwards...... It was good to be of service to someone who has motivated me for the past 32 years or so......  

- My continued involvement in the summer writing project was a little bit of a let down as I didn't truly give my best.  But... and it is a big But....  I did pick up the ball and whack a double up the gap at the afternoon session of the roll out.  Still.... I have not found my groove with this summer responsibility. This is most likely to be my final summer in 2016....  Maybe it will be a positive.

- Suzanne ventured to California without me for the second time.  I did not go. Partly because of the growing rift between #1 and myself, partly due to summer writing obligations. While it is always enlightening to spend time going solo, it revealed some basic weaknesses of my ability to make good decisions about myself and use of my time when I am totally in control of the decision making.   

- I began my 30th year at my current job in August.   I somewhat thought it may be my last.... Come to find out.... that it will not be. I ventured to STRS the last week of December and crunched some hard numbers.  2016-17 looks to be the finish line, but... 2017-18 could be doable....   we shall see... but one thing we know for certain... 18 will be it. DONE. 

- Made a two day vacation at the end of December to Athens. While it is never a bad thing to be in Athens, I have reaffirmed that it is no longer the Athens I hold in my head....  Traffic patterns, renaming of places, and just the ability to walk around and see things are not the same.   A game in the Convo was most likely the highlight of the trip.... with the stay at the Ohio University Inn.... a positive as well.

- On the last note.... for 2015.... this was bought to take some of the pressure off the transportation department here on the Island.  It is bronze.... and it is a 2016 Elantra with the value package. The purchase and financing was fairly easy.  The 1.99% rate was remarkable, along with the credit report score of 837....   I must be doing something correct.  I also paid off the hybrid....  and was actually 100% debt free for a whole week before taking the plunge back into the water of having a car payment obligation.   Oh well... she likes it.... or so she claims.... I have yet to drive it an inch or even sit it the vehicle as of this very moment....  Still it seems like a win..... even if I do have a car payment. 




The Focus has/had developed a moderate head gasket leak.... and.... well.... at 15 years and more than 235,000 miles.... it was just time to move along.   I have literally moved the car behind the house and will now begin the challenging work of finding a way to part with it. 



Now on to 2016 and the Forward Face.....


1. #2 will continue to improve his status at work and make a move towards a permanent residence.


Shouldn't be much of a surprise, given that he is respected by his place of employment and that his income has grown.  As to his family increasing.... I will say yes..... but as noted above maybe there are medical issues that to which I have no knowledge.  Never the less, he is a god send to me.... He keeps me in the game.... and for that I am grateful.


2. #1.....  Nothing will change.... 


Well.... you have no idea how much I want this one to be wrong.....  I want the distance to shorten up.  I will have a tough time deciding whether or not I will go visit this summer, and I will have a very tough time should he decide not to come back home at least for a day or two this calendar year.  I know that I must face going into his room and dealing with what is left behind....  I just don't see where this topic will change.....  so perhaps it will be the biggest surprise of 2016.  We shall see.......


3. Ghosts will remain ghosts.....


While they haunt me daily..... no real changes here.  Things will remain formal..... But I am certain that I will wander through the past and visit old memories. 


4. Bryan, Ohio.... will stay at arm's length....  but I will be 75% in possession by December 31, 2016.


While I have missed my 75% goal of 2015, I will make that happen by 2016.  Sister #2 continues to make it difficult to visit inside..... but I have managed to keep the grass cut on the outside.  While she lives there, I am never quite welcome...  I simply detest how she has raised her son.  He has absolutely zero understanding of responsibility and zero work ethic of any kind.   It causes me to distance myself from them.   I need that place in my life.... but with the current residents and their behaviors.... it simply isn't a welcoming place to me. 


5. I will return to teach one more year (16-17) and be done.


This is my riskiest of all predictions.   My health is not on the improvement and I wouldn't be surprised if a heart attack is in the somewhat near future given the way I do not do a single thing to avert its arrival. I just know that working one more year will leave a little more $ behind for those who should inherit it, or at minimum to live day to day past my retirement.  


There you have it......  the annual visit and insight to the past and the vague shadowy look forward.   I suppose it is good to see you old Janus....  and with a bit of luck.... I will be here to see you a year from today. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home