Friday, March 25, 2016

On 40 and ton the Eve of a Visit

Shame on me.....  the plan was to return, tie off February.... and then dance into March 2016.  None of it happened..... I somehow kept and keep putting off visiting here. 

First.... off.... A visit from the Californians is just a day away....   A decision was made a couple of weeks ago for a get together over spring break.  The decision was almost derailed by a surprise trip for them to Nashville to deal with a request for cupcakes at an "event".  The debate was to leave the island and meet them in Music City, but.... it was decided that they would be "too busy" to really visit and enjoy each other's company.  It rattled me a little... but... a ray of hope appeared about a week after Nashville when he said that would still like to get together over break here on the Island.

The was only hitch from their end.... well...  maybe one one large hitch and one smaller one..... the large one was a simple thing for me as it was the condition that we would have to finance the entire bill...... and secondly it was for a quick visit as she would have to be back for a doctor's appointment. I made the deal.

Now on the eve of the 3/4 day visit there is a certain anticipation.....   

I am seeking courage to go head to head with him on Monday....   I want to be direct with him, but not so direct that I will create even more distance..... but in the same thought... .I am not certain that it would be possible to create any greater distance.  Often I feel that I have already lost him.....  and he simply doesn't mind that the relationship with the Island has basically gone away ..... We shall see....

Today is the 40h anniversay of the beginning.....  It was a simple phone call... about 4:30 pm or so on Thursday March 25, 1976. It was a short call with a very simple question.... that changed everything. The walk after the call around the block... .. the listening to Lorain Catholic score 108 on the radio...  and just wondering what had just happened to me are all very fresh in my memory....  and little did I understand.... what was about to happen to me.....   40 years later... here it is...  40.... agony and ecasty.

I should also mention that I attended the State Basketball Tournament last weekend.  #2 and his bride went down Wednesday night... and they enjoyed games one through eight.   I came in on Friday night but did not attend until Saturday morning...   For the most part it was a good time, but it always seems to me that I can not get the emotion of the event by just taking in Saturday. 

Westerville South beat Lima Sr., John Glenn over Akron St. Vincent - St. Mary, Lima CC over VASJ, and Cornerstone over Lincolnview.   It was great to see longtime adversary Larry Clark make it to the final four as an assistant  at Lincolnview. 

Spring Break is here.. .visitors.... and the prep for the end of my 33rd year teaching is here...  One more on the horizon for next year.

Keep your head on a swivel.  You never know when a moment will be right in front of you that will determine the course of your life for the next forty years .... 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home