Saturday, April 01, 2017

April, State Tournament Reflections, and Opeing Day on the Horizon


April is upon us.   April 1, 2017..... another April's Fool Day.....  In many ways, I believe that I am the only fool around.....  and in more ways than one.

The 95th Boys State Basketball Tournament was last weekend......  I attended all twelve contests. I sat in Section 227, Row J, Seat 1 for each game. Son #2 and his wife attended each game with me. They came on Wednesday evening. We drove to Columbus, checked into the hotel, and proceeded to watch 12 games over the next three days.   It was the first time I had been to all twelve in some time.... .It was also the first time in a long long time..... .that I sat in the same seat for all 12. After being anxious since I had purchased the tickets, it was particularly pleasing that the seats were good both in location and in size/leg room. it was really good.

All in all the games were low scoring.... Wauseon was runner up in division 2 and Archbold lost in the semi-final in Division 3.  Your champions this year are Massillon Jackson, Akron St. Vincent - St. Mary, Cleveland Villa Angela - St. Joseph, and Cleveland Heights Lutheran East. There was a lot discussion about the catholic school/private school dominance.   I don't for a moment believe that there isn't a distinct advantage held by the privates and parochial, but I am not certain how to best level the playing field. Attendance was down overall and I believe that some of that can be contributed to the private/parochial issue.

Quite possibly the best thing about the weekend was spending time with #2 and his wife. Simply spectacular.  I do have to admit that I felt like I was being looked over..... Like they were there to take care of me and to make certain that I didn't mess up physically.....  Although everyone claims innocent of the charge, it still seemed that way to me. We stayed in Columbus Saturday night and drove home Sunday morning/early afternoon. It was good. No..... it was great.

Today is April.... and the weather is cold and rainy. It seems sort of odd that April has arrived so early this year.  I have not been enjoying much of anything outside.

I am faced with a dilemma regarding signing up to be an editor on the project that I have been a part of over the past three summers. The rate is up to $3000 for editing. It is attractive and it would certainly give me a purpose over the summer..... I will have to decide soon.

Today today.... I think I will take a nap.... and then grade... and then grade some more as the third grading period came to an end yesterday...... I would like to start the final quarter with a clean slate.

Opening Day for the Orioles is Monday against Toronto.   It sure would be nice to take in the game.... but... with a 1:15 start.... I will be grinding the 60's until at least 2:35.  I will wander back in and share some thoughts on the Orioles and the upcoming season.

Meanwhile.... be alert to April Fool jokesters......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home