Sunday, September 23, 2018

Solstice, Cincinnati, Owens, and September

Well..... where have I been hiding?   No excuses....  none.... 

Let's start with Owens and being a renter for the first time in over 20 years.  I put off going to school until the last possible day.  After getting past going in.... it has been ok.  I will admit that it is pretty brutal watching the field house and the other buildings being demolished on a daily basis, but.... the room that I teach in is all in all pretty good.   I will admit to not liking the fact that I don't have windows, and I am not particularly fond of the drive to and from, but.... really it hasn't been all that bad.  All things considered.

As to my classes.  I am liking the AP Government and APUSH side of things. World History Honors is coming along slowly.  BUT... BIG BUTT.... I am stunned at the Freshmen World History Classes.  The immaturity factor is a daily challenge.  What makes it particularly challenging is that first hour gray is simply academically challenged.  But... come to find out after the first big test, 4th period scored lower.  It will force me to rethink how I teach.  They are slow slow slow.... and most of them can not read.

Last evening the Autumnal Equinox passed.  It is dark longer than it is light. :-(  I don't like it.  And the arrival of the equinox coincided with a 25 degree temperature drop.  Autumn was definitely in the air the past two days.

The past five days have been grueling. Little bro asked me to come take him to the Cincinnati VA for surgery on his spinal column and the removal of two badly deteriorating discs. Now mind you that I haven't driven in Cincinnati in more than 30 years.  I didn't really care for it then, so the stress factor was pretty high while contemplating the whole ordeal......  Anyways.... went down on Wednesday night and spent the night so that we could get a good jump Thursday morning.  The situation for sleeping Wednesday night was simply a nightmare. Two cats were penned up in the bedroom off the living room.  I "slept" on the couch. The cats were clawing and raising hell with the door. I was hot and sweaty.... I slept maybe 45 minutes between 11:00 pm and 4 a.m.   I will go on record to say that I will never do that again.  Ever...

Thursday morning's drive into the city wasn't crazy bad.  Traffic was thick in Cincy, but not so much in Dayton.  There was a major slowdown just inside the 275 loop. In someways that was a blessing as the top speed in the slowdown was 20 mph. Operation was incredibly smooth and took just 2 1/2 hours. He must wear a collar until October 9. Incredibly painful was how he described it.

I was fortunate to land a room across the parking lot at the Marriott Convention Center.  Nice room.  The base rate was $179, but since I was involved with using the hospital the rate plunged to $99. $10 to park on the top, but not bad all in all. I splurged on room service for dinner and vegetated afterward.  I was extremely tired and it didn't take long to fall asleep.   Friday morning they turned him loose and I had him back in his own house by 3. I left pretty quickly..... mostly because he seemed to be doing unusually well.  Stopped in Lima for a Skyline treat and was back in the driveway by 8 pm.

Suzanne's class reunion was Friday and Saturday.  It makes two in a row that I have not attended with her. I have done ok with it prior years.... but... at the same time they are not my people.

September.... always one of the best, if not the best month of the year.  Today is the 23rd... and it is my first visit to the island for the month.  Looking at past Septembers this is a month I have always struggled to be here on the Island.  No excuses.

Lace 'em up.... overcome the 45-110 Orioles record, the freshmen world history, and the fact that you have no windows to see out at work.  Overcome the arthritis. Overcome the ever rapidly growing darkness and make a positive difference.

I will be back around soon as there are few other loose topics that I need to expound upon. 

Peace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home