Sunday, December 22, 2019

On December.... and the Solstice




Winter Solstice arrived last night at 11:19 p.m.  It always marks a milepost during the passage of a time where light grows scarce in supply and when the light seems much friendlier.    I have always paid attention to the passing of the seasons.  One would think that it would help me deal with closing off things... and welcoming new things....  While those issues remain obstacles for me, I always hold a special place for this solar/Terran event..... we gain more daylight.

December has been a blink of the eye so far.  With all of the added pressure of moving from our rental at Owens, to the stress of making the holiday season special, December has been fairly predictable.

The move from Owens was a little stressful, but it in no way compares to the cataclysm that was the spring of 2018.  That was simply trauma... 24 hours a day for what seemed like day after day after day after day.  This move was much lower key simply due to moving a much smaller cache.  While it was still a task that required effort, it was a task made lighter simply because there was much less accumulation. It was odd driving to Owens each day.  It never seemed like the right thing to be doing, but you know, it eventually became routine.  All in all the temporary home was a good one.  One thing I will miss is the Owens buildings and grounds crew salting the parking lot and sidewalks when needed.  It was a blessing.   Without a doubt, the return to the Superior Street campus will come nowhere close to Owen's effort to assure good footing.

I have not visited the new site. I have looked at architect drawings, and photos of the place.  I drove past the site daily on my way to school over the past 18 months or so...  The rumor mill of all of the shortcomings is cranking on high. I am doing my best to maintain an open mind.  I am certain that there will be some negatives.... but.... with just a little luck, hopefully, there will be at least as many positives to make the change a break even occurrence.   Bottom line?  We will just have to wait and see.  Action kicks up on January 6.  My goal is to wander in sometime after the arrival of 2020.

A quick note .... and a positive note at that..... I attended the JV/Varsity Basketball games at Defiance when the Rossford Bulldogs played there on December 7, 2019.  The new gym is a fine facility, but it seems a bit sterile.  I suppose that is due to it not being "lived in".  Never the less, it is nice. Both games were of good quality with the maroon bulldogs coming out on top in both instances.   We were treated like royalty ... and out of gratitude, I sent a gift to Jerry Buti the athletic director. It was a nice Bulldog sculpture for his office.  He always was great to work with .....  and I truly value his respect. 

The weather has been spectacular over the past couple of days.  The bright sunshine and the temperatures in the upper 40s have been blessings.  The forecast for the upcoming ten days or so are just as impressive as there is a nice run of daytime highs in the lower 50s to look forward to.

I have a few other thoughts swimming around in my head, but I will wait to share them as part of the annual New Years' Day posting....

One last notable for this December posting.....  This past Wednesday, Suzanne was "bumped" by a semi on the drive to school on I-75.  There was a snow burst and visibility wasn't great. The damage was minor to her car, with the driver's door being scored by one of the tires from the truck....  The damage to her confidence was much more significant.  Bottom line? No one was hurt.... and we will have to pay to have the door repaired....  I would like to do that over break.

Oh.... one other event.... Jenny has agreed to purchase a new (used) home in Bryan. We are proceeding at a rapid pace of taking care of the legal matters to smooth the way for her purchase of this new home on Lynn St.   I have a few concerns... but at the end of the day.... she is accomplishing a personal goal, and that is a good thing.  Me on the other hand.... am gaining a great deal of anxiety over the decisions related to retirement/moving back to Bryan.  None of the choices are positive........ well... at least not obviously positive. We shall see how it all works out.

Now.....   It is time to publish this post....  It has grown far too lengthy....

And it has been nice to visit the Island on this Winter Solstice roughly eleven hours after the official arrival of the plane of the ecliptic at the Tropic of Capricorn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home