Wednesday, February 03, 2021

Reflections on January and the Road Ahead

 It is February 3, 2021.   This date is sometimes referred to as the Day the Music Died.   In 1959, Buddy Holly and several others died in a plane crash in Iowa.  Don McLean wrote American Pie to commemorate the event. I have always had a liking to Mr. Holly's body of work.    Not Fade Away.... RIP Buddy Holly


I have been remiss to not stop and take a look back through January and specifically the events that took place on January 6, 2021 at the U.S. Capitol.   There was a rebellion/attempted coup d'état by the followers of Donald J. Trump. Five were left dead in the wake and the House of Representatives passed an article of impeachment for inciting an insurrection.   There are all sorts of legalities being considered. I don't quite recall ever being so anxious.  When the Capitol Police could not keep the mob out, I thought for certain that the coup was going to be a success and the U.S. Constitution would be discarded for a dictatorship.  Fortunately the group was very poorly organized and order was restored.  It is my sincere hope that order will remain restored and that the Bill of Rights remains in effect.   One word.... SCARY

Now.... as to the rest of the month....  well..... I did make a successful trip to Bryan and back. I indulged in buying a birthday gift for my sister Kelly, and I renewed my Ohio driver's license in honor of my 60th year on planet earth. I heard from three of the four. The one who has always been the most reliable was the one that slipped. 

I ended my physical therapy for now.  I am getting around better, but I must confess the ice and snow have never worried me more. 

On a couple of other topics.  The boy's varsity basketball team is playing exceptionally well. Undefeated 15-0. A really really nice win on the road at Ottawa Glandorf this past Saturday. They play very very well together.  I have to admit to being a combination of sad and jealous. But I have no one to blame. I didn't take care of myself. So I don't get to be a part of it.  I just get to watch.


As to the road ahead.... I will announce on or near March 4 that I am retiring. I dread it. I just can no longer be physically able to take care of my students should the need arise.  I can barely take care of myself.  It is a tough medicine to digest. But... as I said earlier..... no one to blame but me.

Now that I have logged into my google account on the home race horse.... I sincerely hope to blog more often.  I believe it would be good both for my head and my heart. 

peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home