Janus Arrives
It is time once again to engage with my patron, Janus.
First we will look back at the forecast from a year ago and assess. Then we will go wandering into what the future may bring. It is always a challenging time to construct this post, but taking time to reflect and examine the days ahead is of value. It is a long standing tradition that has served me well.
First to the past.
1. I will finally pull the plug on teaching full time at Rossford High School.
99% accurate. I pulled the plug at least 99% of the way out of the wall. I announced my intention to retire and rehire in May. I had researched the process with STRS heavily in March and April and then submitted the forms to STRS in front of my APUSH class. I am not quite certain as to why I did it in front of them, other than to maybe force me to be accountable and have some integrity. I met with the superintendent and treasurer and asked to be a part of the rehire process. They agreed and stated it would be for one year only. So..... I have been teaching for the 21-22 school year. It is my 39th and final one in the role that I currently am in.
2. #2 will continue his progress both professionally and personally.
100% accurate. This prediction is getting easier and easier each year. There is virtually no change with him or his circumstances other than he has purchased a mortgage on his home on Frinnefrock Road, and the business from his mother-in-law. He seems to really enjoy his job and his circumstances.
3. #1 will not visit in person in 2021, but will maintain communication along the lines he has put into place during the pandemic.
100% accurate. No face to face and maybe just an uptick in communication. He fairly reliably calls on Sunday evenings and chats for a longer period that he has historically. Several times the conversations have extended to nearly two hours in length. While I am pleased with the deeper and longer conversations, I still would like to find a way to do a face to face more than once every three or four years.
4. There will be continued political turmoil on a scale that has not been experienced in the United States since the 1860s.
This one was 75% true. On January 6 there was an insurrection/coup/riot that entered the U.S. Capitol in support of the 45th President. Five people died in the chaos. It was simply stunning. While there is an investigation being conducted, it is not proceeding in a timely fashion due to a variety of tactics employed by the Grand Old Party. There have been a number of articles detailing the various levels of involvement of #45 and his staff, along with some details of actions taken by the joint chiefs of staff to secure the nuclear arms and assure our adversaries that they were at no direct risk. Bottom line? Extreme political turmoil, discredited election results, and toxic animosity still grip the United States.
5. With the prediction of number 1 in place, I think some strong steps will take place to leave 144 Windsor Drive and give it a try in the Fountain City.
10% accurate. We did not really engage much with the physical property in the Fountain City. I did supply taxes, insurance, lawn food/treatment, and mailbox numbers, but beyond that no direct steps were taken to begin the occupation of that home. This prediction was by far and away the most inaccurate of the five.
And now on to the future.... Let's see...
1. Ending employment as I have known it is a done deal so, no prediction there, but.... the prediction is that I will struggle mightily and not be of sound mind nor body as I learn to cope with the change.
It is supposed to be at minimum bittersweet when you retire. It is not for me. While I don't believe that I am bitter, I definitely am yet to find a morsel of sweetness to any of the event looming here in May. It is still the right decision because I can not physically perform at the level needed to be an excellent classroom teacher. I sincerely believe I am still very good mentally and my growth mindset is intact. I will miss my life. But is is time to go.
2. Son #2 will continue to progress, but somewhere along the line this year will face a sizable obstacle of some sort or variety.
I will grant you that this is a weak prediction. It is incredibly vague and I can not quite explain what sort of obstacle will appear, but it is just a feeling I have. It would be wonderful if I am 100% inaccurate, but I just sense that a significant problem is looming out there in 2022.
3. Ahhh.... Son #1 will continue to his current path but will have to face some sense of reality that he is not growing and his clock is running.
He will turn 35 this coming summer. I simply have to believe that he will check it with the reality of being half way to 70. His personal life makes zero progress in regard to his relationship. Zero progress financially to insure his future. It is still quite possibly the single greatest failure of my life that he lacks any sense of courage to deal with progress. Progress both on a personal level or a professional level. I feel very responsible, but mostly I feel sad. He will still not come to Ohio this calendar year, and he will still be unmarried and totally dependent on her parents. It is extremely troubling to me.
4. The United States will continue to struggle mightily between dealing with the pandemic and political upheaval to possibly engage in military conflict with the Russians and/or Chinese on the international front.
The pandemic continues to evolve. We are currently experiencing the Omicron variant of the Covid-19 virus. It is blitzing the hospitals and medical professionals. We are still masking at school and I made the most of the opportunity to receive my vaccination booster on December 22 at Otsego Elementary School. About 45% of Williams County is unvaccinated. A good portion of Wood County is unvaccinated. 85-90% of the citizens either don't wear a mask or straight up refuse to wear a mask. Until we change our collective behavior, nothing will change in regard to the pandemic. Deep down inside, I don't sincerely believe that it will be under control in my lifetime.
Politically the mid-term election will provide the spark for additional upheaval. There will be mass protests no matter the outcome. It is in my humble opinion a direct reflection of our lack of adults / lack of maturity of our people. We do not handle not getting out way any differently than you basic six year old. I think the rioting will not be so much on a national level as it will be on the state and local levels.
Foreign relations are growing gloomier and gloomier. Russia is poised to invade the Ukraine. There is no interest by either the U.S. nor Russia to rework the nuclear arms agreements that have or are expiring. The tone is not a positive one. As to China, they are actively building a naval presence in and around Taiwan. Given our recent trade issues with China along with the economic decline due to the pandemic and other related international issues, the prospect of a major war breaking out with either Russia or China seems more possible every day. I can be pretty pessimistic, but I just know that the current state of foreign affairs is troubling to me.
5. The Purge of 144 Windsor will begin in earnest come late summer/early fall.
Wow.... It is going to happen. There will be space made available on the interior and the exterior will be greatly improved with new siding and windows. Period. It is going to happen. Now there is a bold precise prediction. As to whether or not it comes to fruition? We will see. But it is something that must happen prior to selling this property.
Well, there you have it. A yearly visit from my patron, Janus. No matter what happens in 2022, the goal is to calm and steady. No rash moves. Nothing that is going to embarrass anyone. Finding purpose post retirement, and improved mobility are definitely two areas that i will need to focus on.
Welcome 2022, smile when you can, but at minimum give us the opportunity to improve over our time available.
Peace.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home