Saturday, February 11, 2023

Responsibility

 

Responsibility.  

The concept of responsibility has been a much larger part of my understanding of life than what I suspect most people have. I believe that sense of responsibility was given to my directly by my parents. As the oldest child of four, it was primarily my responsibility to look out for my siblings. When I discovered that I was taller and stronger than most of my classmates in elementary school, it became my self imposed responsibility to look out for some of them.  As I grew older the concept of responsibility evolved to emotional and fiscal responsibility. Upon becoming a classroom teacher and coach I believed that I was responsible for others growing and having positive experiences. Becoming a high school athletic director made me directly responsible for 19 varsity teams, about 50 coaches and advisors, and countless athletes. When I became a parent and then a homeowner the responsibility factor increased even more. When my parents became less independent, I took it personally that I was to be responsible for making their lives at least a little more tolerable.

Responsibility has always been a concept that has influenced my life and a vast majority of my decisions. 

One development in our current culture and maybe in previous times as well is that freedom for most seems to be the ability to avoid responsibility. Many seem to believe that freedom is lack of obligation or at least fewer responsibilities.  In my humble opinion the two concepts are intricately tied to each other. You simply can not have one without the other. I believe that freedom requires responsibility and responsibility enhances freedom. They are definitely not exclusive. 

As I listen to the national debate on why is everyone impinging on my freedoms, it strikes me that those who feel that their freedoms seem to disregard the responsibility connection. It strikes me that freedom is almost exclusively about personal choice without considering anyone or anything outside of themselves.  Perhaps I expect too much of most people to realize that they are (whether they like it or not) part of something far larger than themselves. This penchant for focus on me me me me me ... my my my my, mine mine mine.....  will doom us. 

February is almost half gone, the purge continues, and I look forward to sunnier days.  

Endure and be responsible. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home