Thursday, May 18, 2023

Mid May

 


May arrived 18 days ago.  I have not been reliable at keeping up at being a regular here on the Island. There is no particular reason for me not to be a frequent visitor to this place. I have not been particularly busy or distracted. I just haven't been here.   Today I am here. 

It has been a fairly routine run since my last visit. #1 remains distant and seemingly stuck. #1's significant other seems to be battling a series of health issues related to her weight. #2 seems to be doing well and his family seem to be thriving. Suzanne seems positive, although I suspect that she is tired. She has been a bigger cog in the machinery of taking care of her mom.

May 21 looms this weekend. I would really like to go back to Bryan Sunday and spend an hour or two. I don't think it is going to happen. #2's wife's grandfather has passed and the viewing hours on Sunday presents a major obstacle in traveling 60 miles to the West and 45 miles to the East. After just making that loop this past weekend for Mother's Day, I am not particularly eager to endure that again.   Perhaps just some Starry Starry Night will have to work. 

An unusually chilly morning here today on the Island. There were frost advisories issued to both the southeast and northwest of the Island, but as far as I could tell we remained frost free. 

One last thought about the Island during this visit is the fact that Round 10 of The Purge concludes tomorrow. I suspect it is the last "formal" round. Eight of the rounds were doubles and the last two have been solo rounds. There is clearly more to be purged, but I think we will be trying out a different format. Large items will now be the focus. There will also be some electronics leaving. One thing that has commonly been referenced in this minimalism is the joy of less. I have yet to feel joy. Now mind you, things around the Island have definitely improved, but not to the level of "joy". 

I have been doing some reading to a quarterly publication called Simply Magazine. I purchased a life time subscription for $20. It has been worth far more that $20 to me in the first two months that I have been consuming. One of the previous issues was on joy. I have read four or five of the entries, but have yet to come to a true understanding of joy.  Perhaps it is just something that I will stumble onto. 

Time to move along with the day. Please forgive my absenteeism here at the Island. I will endeavor to do better.  Immediately. 

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home