Stumps, Dirt, Funeral, and Other Obstacles
Since I was last to the Island there have been a few adjustments.
Most notably was the removal of the Northern most maple tree from the front yard. After the neighbor across the street removed a tree that had been gone for more than a few years, I took the plunge and arranged for the departure of the tree that had been fading for the past ten or so years. I also arranged for the pruning of the Southern maple tree. The entire event lasted about three hours. It wasn't a particularly good time, but I am certain that I will not hold my breath each time the wind blows during a weather event. The stump removal was nothing short of remarkable. A remote controlled grinder that was unloaded from a trailer, utilized, and then returned to the trailer in just about thirty minutes. Remarkable.
It is also somewhat noteworthy that the television room and the dining room have been shampooed using the machine that my dad purchased well over ten years ago. The machine had never been removed from the box nor assembled prior to this week. The process seemed to go well and other than the powerful scent of the shampoo, the carpet looks much better in both rooms. A win.
It is important to note the passing of my teaching and basketball colleague, Dave Matthews. I briefly visited the funeral home and spoke quietly with Dave's wife about Dave's passion for anything he was focused upon. He was the key to my opportunity to work at the Basketball Academy. His devotion to his vocation, basketball, and most importantly his family were models all could learn from. I will miss him.
One last obstacle to note is my mobility. My feet are on the decline and the neuropathy is gaining ground. Last night I spent most of the night with the sensation of driving an ice pick through the bottom middle of my left foot. Not pleasant.
September has reached the half-way mark. Aunt Orpha turns 102 tomorrow and Willie 35. I am sincerely grateful to have both of them in my life.
Endure. Obstacles can be overcome.
Be grateful. People in your inner circle can significantly improve the quality of life.
Peace.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home