Wednesday, January 01, 2025

Welcome Back Janus

 


The goal was to complete this year's annual interview with my reliable visitor Janus early today.  I wanted a fresh and uncluttered mind. However, I am posting at the end of my day due mostly to laziness.  No excuses... but let's get to it. 

First a look back:

1. My physical/emotional state will plummet even farther down the whirlpool.  I was 98% correct on this one. My feet are merely attached and I have virtually no feeling in them. I am pretty certain that my weight has increased.  On the upside of this equation is that there hasnt' been a need to increase any of my medications. I am in no way proud of this, in fact it is sad. I don't travel out of the house much if at all. I have driven the Elantra twice in the past two months.  While correct on the prediction, how sad is it that I choose to do very little to stop the rapid decline. Sad.

2. #2 and family will prosper and prosper.  1100% correct. He has continued to gather responsibilites at his place of employment. His wife is doing well with her day care business, other than some less than reliable employees. Allison is growing by leaps and bounds, and other than battling eczema rashes and an occasional temper tantrum when she visits with her parents present, she has become a source of joy for me. She was wonderful helping Suzanne put up the Snowman Christmas tree. 100% correct on this one. 

3. #1 will totally break his relationship with his Ohio family ties.  99% incorrect. He has been a regular caller on Sunday nights and he will exhcange a text or two during the course of the week. It reality things between him and his Ohio home has changed very very little. I am pleased that this prediction did not come true. 

4. There will be massive turmoil generated by the 2024 election.  I was incorrect on the massive adjective. There was no uprising. I suspect it is due to the result of the Republican victories at both the executive and legislative branch. The meltdown by young people has been pretty widespread.  I was actually stunned at the margin of victory in the Presidential race. But no widespread hysteria. But then again the inauguration is a mere 19 days away.  But... for the record, I was wrong. 

5. Windsor Drive and Robrock Street will be a heavy burden on my psychological endurance, but significant progress will take place. 100% true. On November 1, 2024, 14 quality windows that can be cleaned easily from the inside were successfully installed at 144 WIndsor Drive. Major win. Incredible feeling the next morning when the sun came out and I sat in #1's old bedroom watching the sunrise. I liked that feeling a lot. I will admit that the installation day was stressful, but the reward has been worth every penny and minute of anguish spent. Win.  As to Robrock Street .... 95% correct. On November 25th and 26th a new furnance and central air conditioning system was installed. The furnance that was replaced was the original that was from 1957 when the house was built.  It had been a good and faithful servent.  Then on December 27th the original electrical service was updated with 200 amp panel and wiring.  This step was a victory in honor of my dad's desire to go to 200 amp service for at least five or six years before his passing in 2013. Sad that he didn't get to see it is somewhat even sadder that it took me 11 years after his passing to get this task accomplished. So.... with all that said about the goings on with the real estate side of my life, I am still deeply troubled with what to do going forward specifically as to holding two homes, so in that respect that must say that I am still burdened about both places. I dream at least twice a week about Robrock Street. Sometimes the dreams are positive and sometimes they are deeply troubling  So .... 100% correct true about the psychological endurance toll, but the victories were major. 

Now my best predictions for the upcoming run through 2025. While my prognostication accuracy was't all that hot for 2024, maybe I can be a little more accurate for 2025.

1. I will continue to slip away both physically and cognitively.  Not exaggerating here. I find my physical strength slipping.  I have also begun to notice that my memory is not as sharp as I would like it to be. I suspect that the memory depletion is because I don't exercise that muscle. I must strive to read and analyze quality content on a regular basis along with finding a way to interact with the material.  Otherwise I will lose competence. 

2. #2 will continue to be a success as a husband, dad, and on the professional front.   While there will be bumps in the road, he will manage them and be the better for it. I am incredibly proud of him and his accomplishments. My single greatest worry is that he will neglect his health and that it would lead him to slip. I can't even remotely explain how spectacular he is as a dad. His patience and focus are simply magnificent.

3. As to #1 .... Nothing will change in regard to his hiatus from Ohio, but I predict that given the remarkable decline of his significant other's health, major changes are coming for him in 2025.   He has not been in the state of Ohio since the first week of March 2020. He expresses any desire to come even for a brief visit. So without more direct knowledge, I don't see how any prediction other than status quo continues. I sincerely hope that his significant other can improve her situation. Should disaster happen, he will fall down a major hole. I just wish I knew the best course to help him. 

4. The course of our country will continue to expereince increased division both on the political and cultural front.  Even though the Republican party now controls the majority of all three branches of government the deeper division within our culture continues to drive a hard wedge.  Should 45/47 follow through on his campaign promises there will be strong resistance to deporting people. It is difficult to predict what steps he will take to dissolve many of the checks on executive power found in the Constitution. Worst case scenario would be to suspend the Constituion and Bill of Rights.  It would be the first leap to the end of the republic as we have know it for more than 249 years. I hope that cooler heads prevail, but the division will undoubtedly deepen.

5. Renovations will continue both on Windsor Drive and on Robrock St.   It is my sincere hope that I can continue the momentum on both fronts. For Windsor Drive, it will be about siding, hopefully in the spring or early summer. I would also like make some progress in both the upstairs and the shower in the basement.  Some concrete work would also be a plus, but those items will follow the siding work.   On Robrock Street, it will be about fixing the front porch, garage floor, and depending on the resources available a poured concrete driveway.  While this may lead to either moving to Bryan or selling my true home, it will be a tax on my mind. I must stay determined to progress. 

And there you have it....  Good ole Janus.....  Looking back and forward is sometihng I do often, but it is this New Year's Day tradition that forces me to be accountable. I am pretty certain my Janus like nature causes anxiety and indecsion, but without reflection it would be folly to attempt any chance of success moving forward.  2024 cost me some ground. While I did make some progress particularly on the real estate front, my loss of a couple of close friends and continued physical decline coupled with my hermit like ways have probbably should consider 2024 an over all loss.  As for 2025 many things will present opportunites. The question will be whether or not I will have the courage to move forward. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home