March arrived five days ago. I have not been diligent in stopping through on the Island. I simply need to do better.
Today marks the eleventh year without my mentor, Coach Heck. I miss his insight on life and people. He was a true blessing to me and I will be eternally grateful to him for his guidence.
Basketball is heating up. At the high school level the boys have reached the regional level. It is noteworthy that St. Francis is playing in the Division 2 regional semi-final at Elida against a team from suburban Cincinnati, Loveland. The leader for St. Francis is Coach Heck's grandson, Jameson. Jameson is an incredible hard worker and the clone of his dad in his style of play as well as stature.
The girls' state tournament begins this week. It is amazing that the OHSAA first of all went to seven divisions for both boys and girls. As a result it became virtually impossible to host championship weekend with both the semi final and final for all times on a single weekend. So, all semi-final games are being played a week ahead of the championship game and being played at separate sites. Some games are being played at high schools like Saint Marys and Elida. Unbelievable. How simply degrading to once was the ultimare high school experience of playing at a major Division 1 university arena. I don't approve.
As for college basketball, the conference tournaments are ramping up. The Missouri Valley begins tomorrow with Indiana State playing Southern Illinois at 1 pm. Derek has been getting more and more opportunities including two starts. It is really positive to see him smiling and having a good experience on the court. As to my Bobcats, they have been hammered by the injury bug. They lost last night to Eastern Michigan in the final home game of the season. Bobcats are 16-15 overall and have been in my opinion "ordinary". That being said, I think the MAC overall is ordinary this year. Akron is the best, but everyone else is capable of winning the tournament with the exceptions of Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, and Buffalo.
Last night was the State of the Union address. I am not certain I can describe accurately what I witnessed. It reminded me a great deal of a political rally. Simply stunning.
March is here.
I will endeavor to stop through more often.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home