Sunday, August 31, 2025

Where Do I Begin?

 


It has been a rocky road over the past six weeks or so. Where I am is a deeper hole than February 2019 with the stroke. So.... rather than dance around, let's dig in and try to sort it all out for the Island. 

Since the middle of March I had been experincing some throat discomfort and specifically difficulty swallowing. It really wasn't painful, but it was uncomfortable especially to swallow.  I scheduled a wellness checkup with Dr. Ewry only to find out that the good doctor was unavailable due to him having a knee replaced.  So one of the doctors in his office agreed to see me.  It wasn't a good experience.  He played my throat discomfort off as spring alergies. 

Things did not improve, so I scheduled an office call with Dr. Ewry a the end of June.  He perscribed a giant antibiotic for ten days along with stout steriod.  Things improved some... but by the last week of July things were on the decline again.  I had a very rough Sunday July 27th. That morning I was spitting up a lot of blood. I was prepared to go the emergency room , but fortunately things calmed down.  I tried to see Dr, Ewry on the 28th. He was unable to work me until early on the 29th.   

Upon arrival, he recommended going immediately to Toledo Hospital's emergency room.  I arrived at the E.R. about 9:45 am. I sat in the lobby of the ER for about forty-five minutes.  I was a mess. I could not sit and became extremely agitated.  When I finally made it into an examination stall, the triage nurse determined that I was in AFIB.  The nurse also had a doctor examine my throat and discovered a "mass".   I was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit with a diagnosis of a large mass on my epiglottis, severely malnutritioned, and experiencing AFIB.


The next day I was given a Laryngoscopy with a trach insert due to the CT scan showing that the mass was blocking about 80% of my airway. The biopsy showed that the mass was about 5.7 cm across and blocking the airway enough that the surgeon's primary priority was to open a clear airway. 

The second priority was my unintentional loss of 40 pounds over the previous 30 days. I was diagnosed as being malnutritioned. The procedure of putting in a G-Tube or Peg to feed me through a tube put into my stomach through my abdomen.  Since that procedure, I have had zero input orally. 

Now to add to all of this..... the cardiology people were pushing for some time to deal with the AFIB.  It was decided to treat this situation by medicine and monitoring the rate. 

The time in ICU was different.  Contstant attention was neccessay do the fear of me choking. Ultimately I was moved from the ICU to the Progressive Medicine floor.  The nursing staff was exceptionally kind.  Only the Fairview Apache male nurse was not prime.

I was ultimately released on Thursday August 7. I was scheduled for a PET scan to determine whether or not the cancer was anywhere else in my body.   Fortunately it was not. 

So.... the cancer team has determined the best course of action would begin a regimen of combined radiation and chemotherapy treatments five days a week for seven weeks beginning September 3. 

I am struggling to say the least. I don't sleep well.  I long to eat with my family. I am growing weary of coughing up extremely thick mucus.  I hate the mucus plugs that cause me pain, not to mention the inability to breathe when the plugs block and clog my inner canula. 

Now if all of this medical game isn't enough, Son #1 appeared with his fiance on Friday August 22. He stayed the week. I will expound on this unexpected visit. 

So..... cancer , malnutrition, and a heart condition.  On top of all of this, is incredible fatigue. No solid food by mouth permitted. 

Aren't I a mess?  




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home